Friday, November 21, 2008

Day 4

The group that we went with went to the Kona Coffee Festival, but since we don't drink coffee we opted out. But we did get to drive the Kohala Coast of the big island toward Waimea, and Pololu Valley. This was nice and relaxed for the most part. We departed Kailua-Kona area around 11am. We drove up the Kohala Coast until we reach Kiholo Bay. This was the first scenic outlook area. Well it was an awful view, but I could see cars down by the actual bay, we were quiet a ways from it. It was black, brown and ugly...



Much of the Kohala Coast look like this, although locals tried to tell me that it normally was greener. Well since I wanted to see the actual coast I went over to some bikers at the stop and asked them if they knew how to get down to the bay. The told me that if you go back down the road toward Kailua-Kona about 1/4 mile you will see a road, turn right and follow it down. So we did, as we realized about the roads on the Big Island that MOST are paved, but poorly neglected with large potholes, or the road not really finished. We were just grateful we had a rental. HEHE So we drove down this road and we were headed to the beach when all the sudden we encountered a very large pothole, if you could call it that. It was were the road just sudden fell off, and only a SUV, or other off road vehicle might be welling to venture, so we back up and parked the car. And got out and walked the other few feet to the beach. Well we when got down there it was a diamond in the ruff that we would have missed had I not asked those bikers for directions







Here we found pretty little shells, funky creatures, and more crabs...John loves those. BOYS?!?!







I also wanted to make sure to document the car that John just feel in LOVE with on vacation. Now mind you we JUST paid off our Magnum and I am NOT buying another car for a few years... but here is John's new love nonetheless



Next we headed up the Kohala Coast some more. Next stopping at 'Aneho'omulu Beach Park. We stopped here for our picnic lunch. It is now the home of a HUGE Outrigger Resort, complete with shopping centers and restaurants. It was very pretty...





John claimed he was taking pictures of this boat



when I found these pictures...





We decided to take pictures of the whitest people on the beach





Next we went to Hapuna Beach Park. We were told not to miss this beach on our drive since it is rated as one of the top 10 beaches in the world...You can judge for yourselves...







Next we just stopped at this beach long enough for me to take a picture for my brother...This is for you SPENCER



By now we are feeling pressed for time and we push onward, on our list of things to see before out horseback riding check in at 4:15 was the original King Kamehameha statue. It was Veteran's day that is why the flags at half mass







And the Largest Black Sand beach



We were told that this was about a 15 min hike down and a 45 min hike back up, by this time we only have about 45 mins until we need to leave to be at the horse ranch on time, so we discussed and we talked to other hikers and many made it back up in no time so we decided to go...

15 mins down including pictures


















Portuguese Man-O-War

John poking a Portuguese Man-O-War


And a 18 min hike back up







Now once we made it back up and had PLENTY of time... John felt the need to race to the event that would make the next 6 weeks of my life painful...





Now we arrive very early to our Horseback riding trip, we signed our lives away on paper, checked the no helmet box on the waiver saying "this is a dangerous and adventurous activity". And then went and got suited up for our journey







After suiting up for our ride, we waited for about 25 mins until the other couple arrived that would go on our trip with us. So I filled the time pretending to be artistic...







This sign that should of been a clue to me...



The feet that would later try to kill me...



And the horse attached to those feet



The guide responsible for our disaster



Mounting the culprit "Billy" (the only Englished name horse on the Hawaiian Ranch. John's horse's name was "Cheif" in Hawaiian, I am not going to attempt to spell that!)



In the beginning it was ok, "Billy" was reluctant to move, mainly just wanted to eat, he was skittish around the other horses, and just wanted to follow every one everywhere



Soon after this picture was taken we would "trot" the horses to warm them up, my horse was very unwilling to do so, which made me nervous to do so, I should of followed that instinct. Then we rode on some more



Right after this picture was taken we will get to the place made for "galloping". My horse being the last in the pack again, the guide was waiting for us to go. Billy was not really wanting to go, and that made me scared, she keep yelling something like "Hapa" that would make the horse sorta run faster. At this point I am really uncomfortable, I kept tell Billy not to run so fast, he would slow down and the guide would make him run faster. I kept telling her I was ok, but she insisted. So he took off, she ran up behind him, my foot slipped out of the stirrup and Billy stopped and over the horse I went. I landing on my back/upper shoulder area. I immediately stood up not wanted that horse to step on me. By the time I was up she had the horse and was walking it around, it was trying to eat some more. I walked around a bit, hurting like H E double hockey sticks, I look around, trying not to cry, but I want John. He was already up by the other horses, and he turns around and sees me on the ground and walks his "alpha-male" horse back over to me. Checking to see if I am ok. I feel fine, but I have a headache and my back and chest hurts (all understandably, I was just thrown from a horse!!) I ask how far back to the stables, she informs me 4.5 miles. Well I am not walking that beast back that far, so I hop back on. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. My horse actually was a lot nicer on the way back, walking nicely, and listening to directions. John wanted to walk behind me, which neither of our horses liked, so he ended up walking in front of me, but never walking too far away from me. We got back to the stable and I just wanted off the horse and to get in the car and leave...but of course I was the last horse in, so the last one off the horse. GRRR!!! But I made it back to the car without incident of death...as the sign so suggested!

When we returned to the resort Whit and Leland had not returned yet, I just wanted to get in the shower and clean up. When I emerged they had returned and John had already told them of my mishap. They throughly enjoyed there trip in the Island Air plane, in which Whit got air-sick.

No comments: