Saturday, April 10, 2010

Grammie Comes to Visit for Noah's 2nd MRI

When we found out on Feb 2, 2010 that Noah had a cyst pressing on his brainstem that was probably causing his symptoms . Understandably I was very upset for a few reasons:
1. Something on my baby's brain
2. John had already been deployed to Afganistan for only a month,
meaning no real hope that he could be here in person to support me.
3. I was scared to death!!
 But our family and friends all pulled together for us. Within 1.5 hrs 6 people were at our home from our ward. The next few hours, days and maybe even weeks were a blur. Finally the blurriness cleared and the MRI was scheduled and Grammie had bought her ticket to come be with me during the MRI.
By the time it was time for the MRI, I had done as I always do, research, process, research, process, and research some more, than plan, and hope for the best. Grammie flew in the afternoon on Monday Mar 22, 2010. Tuesday we went to the zoo, which I forgot to take my camera, but we had a blast. Wednesday was a chill day. And the day that my sister, Sheila, has schedule for my D-lious support to arrive. It was YUMMY!! Thanks again Sheila!! Wednesday afternoon UCLA called to see if we could have the MRI at 8am instead of 2pm. After arranging with the sitter to come earlier than we had plan. We got ready to head to the Cheesecake Factory with some friends. Also YUMMY support!

Thursday morning, March 25, 2010 bright and early (330am) I got up to go get the sitter, and by 430 we were headed out the door. Not sure how long it would take us in traffic heading to LA. We only arrived 45 mins early.(Below are some pictures of us hanging out in the car, wating for the MRI) So we did good. Noah had a cold, and the beginning of an ear infection, which he had been put on antibotics for, so they were not sure even if they were going to be able to do the MRI. So they nurses examined him and found him fit for the MRI. They started the MRI on time, it wasn't as scary this time. I knew what was going to happen, I knew that he would go limp in my arms, I knew that he would be attached to all the those wires, and monitors. So I wasn't so scared. After he was asleep Grammie and I took a nap. I don't know what woke me, maybe just the feeling that my baby was back. But when I woke Noah was sleeping in recovery. This is when it got a bit nerve racking for me. When he had his MRI last Aug he was awake before they even brought him back to the recovery room, he had came out of sedation like champ last time. This time, not so much, he took about 30 mins to begin to become consious, but the next hour and 20 mins was a nightmare. He cried and threw himself around. Flopping and flinging around almost like a fish out of water. Nothing could calm him, NOTHING!! For those of you that have spent anytime with Noah you know that as long as you feed him, he is the HAPPIEST baby around. Problem being he had not eaten since 8pm the night before and it was not 1130, 15 hours of no food is along time for anyone!! The nurses told me I could feed him once he stopped crying, finally around 70 mins I stopped listening to them. Everytime he opened his mouth to scream I shoved a fish cracker in his mouth, within 10 mins he was he calm, happy self again. And we were able to head home. Then Friday we took Grammie to the airport for her to fly home :( We had a alot of fun just hanging out with Grammie. The kids loved the extra attention, and I loved the extra set of hands. I need a live in Grammie ;-)! Thanks again Sue, it really meant alot to me.


Since then we have gotten the results to the MRI. It showed that there was no permanent damage done so far. But they were unable to determine much else from the MRI. They can't tell us if it is causing the symptoms, or if it is causing pressure or really anything else. All they can tell us is it is there, it hasn't gotten any bigger, and it has not cause damage. So they are not going to do anything at this point. John and I are looking into getting second opinion. I would LOVE to go to Boston's Children Hospital, since the have the BEST pediatric neurology department. But I think I have to move there, so that Tricare will pay for it.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: