Monday, December 29, 2008

In the 'Twilight' of the Night

So on Friday night we returned from shopping about 6:30 or so. We had saw some lightning on our way home, but heard no thunder. But soon our power started to flicker and I knew that we better be ready for no electricity like as so many days before. Like clock work the power flickered a few more times and it was out. IPIC (our housing community) looses power alot more the other places on the island since we are not on the grid with everyone else, along with being billing more then them, by a ridiculous outrageous private company (SORRY I have strong feelings about this, and that is a whole 'nother story in and of itself). AnYwAy, since we lose power alot, we didn't think to rush to the radio to find out what was going on since most of the time our power outages never even make a blimp on the last page of the local paper. We just went on getting ready for the kids to go to bed. Reading books and scriptures by flashlight. Isaac actually was quite cute, kept trying to turn on the lights. Well with the kiddos in bed we set off to watch a movie on John's laptop. He had given me a bunch of movies for Christmas, all chick flicks, so to say. And he agreed to watch one with me. We picked the movie 'Twilight'. A movie based on a book that a friend had given me months ago, that I kept meaning to read, and never did. (Mainly cause I knew what would happen!) Well we were mostly through the movie, we were getting to the intense part. For those that have watched the movie, the part in the ballet studio, if that doesn't give away too much. Well anyway, the laptop suddenly flashed and the battery shut off. NO!! We were so into the movie that we had not noticed the flashing orange light coming from the side of the make-shift movie player. We were so anxious to see what happens, to see how things ended up. Well there was no hope for now, so we decided to listen to the radio, to see if by some chance they could tell us anything. Well come to find out the entire island, and maybe the whole state (it was briefly mentioned in passing that the Big Island was also in Flash Flood Warning, which lead me to ASSUME that they had no power either). Well with no hope of power to plug in the laptop anytime soon, we did what every person who is DIEING to see the end of an intense movie, we tried everything we could think of to some how divert power to the laptop. I got out the portable DVD play that had not played movies in MONTHS out, knowing that it had a full battery and a USB cord, hoping that we could some how make that GIVE power to the computer. With failed luck we were stumped. BY now it was late, and John was falling a sleep on the couch as I fiddled with the DVD player, if only it would work, if only that stupid DISC ERROR message would go away, and play that DVD!! I decided to try and much to my astonishment, the openings credits flashed before my eyes!! OMGoodness, it was a small miracle. Ok probably not, but I was sure happy. I woke up John and we watched the end! So the next morning as John prodded me to workout with him (I have been lacking self-motivation these last few weeks, know that in a just over a month we will be on "vacation" and probably NEVER exercise!) So I decided that I would read the entire story, since we know movies are cut due to time constraints. And exactly what I feared would happen if I started, happened. I couldn't put it down, I wanted to neglect all my duties, and when I was forced to fulfill those "normal" responsibilities, all I could think of was what would happen next (yes even though I knew the ending. John kept asking me.) It consumed my dreams even. I picture it all so clearly there. Well now its all done, and I want more. I am currently pacing myself to buy the next book, since I was a bit neglectful of my family the last two days. I'm thinking that "vacation" coming up would be perfect.

AND now I too am a
TWILIGHT ADDICT

6 comments:

Stephanie Williams said...

I TOLD YOU SO!! lol, that is so so funny that you watched the movie first and that the power went out. Beware the 2nd book, its not as good as the 1st but the 3rd and 4th get better. I called my dad on sunday and chewed him out for not calling on Tristan's bday and he told me the same story about not having power, and of course he and my mom didnt charge their cell phones so they were dead too. Sounds like we missed a rainy month!

Stephanie Williams said...

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partialdraft3.pdf

Thats the link to Midnight Sun, Twilight from Edward's point of view. Enjoy! check out mininova.com for the ebook

Joy said...

Ummmm....how did you watch the movie? It isn't even out on DVD yet.

Joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McCormick fam said...

hey I loved the books so much i read them 3-4 times before I gave them back to my friend I am dying to see the movie but NO ONE will see it with me SUCKS BIG TIME

Chantell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.